AnsweredAssumed Answered

Drill Null Pointer Exception on MapR-DB

Question asked by mandoskippy on Jan 24, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 by maprcommunity

Hey all,

I have been using the developer edition of Drill (1.4) and had it pointing at a MapR-DB table with a view.  It has been working great for the couple of weeks, this is an active table, that gets data added constantly. 

Today, when I went to query it, instead of the normal quick response, I got the error below: Very strange. This was on both a select count(1) from view_table and direct from the table. And happened on select * queries too.   I restarted my drill bits thinking that may be an issue, but the error persists.

This is from the CLI, with authentication, on MapR 5.0, Drill Developer 1.4 (from MapR), and Java 7.   Ubuntu OS etc.  Nothing has changed on my cluster from when it worked to when it didn't work. Additionally, the table is supporting another process via the MapR Hbase Rest API, and those calls are returning correctly with no issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Error: SYSTEM ERROR: NullPointerException

[Error Id: b40724a6-ae88-4de1-91de-f02033d4b795 on hadoopmapr7.local:31010] (state=,code=0)

Verbose Error:

Error: SYSTEM ERROR: NullPointerException

[Error Id: d70a14cc-ac78-4c4c-8067-ef42bd8a5e2c on hadoopmapr7.local:31010]

(org.apache.drill.exec.work.foreman.ForemanException) Unexpected exception during fragment initialization: null
    org.apache.drill.exec.work.foreman.Foreman.run():255
    java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker():1145
    java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run():615
    java.lang.Thread.run():745
  Caused By (java.lang.NullPointerException) null
    org.apache.drill.exec.store.maprdb.MapRDBGroupScan.applyAssignments():301
    org.apache.drill.exec.planner.fragment.Wrapper$AssignEndpointsToScanAndStore.visitGroupScan():116
    org.apache.drill.exec.planner.fragment.Wrapper$AssignEndpointsToScanAndStore.visitGroupScan():103
    org.apache.drill.exec.physical.base.AbstractGroupScan.accept():60
    org.apache.drill.exec.physical.base.AbstractPhysicalVisitor.visitChildren():138
    org.apache.drill.exec.planner.fragment.Wrapper$AssignEndpointsToScanAndStore.visitOp():134
    org.apache.drill.exec.planner.fragment.Wrapper$AssignEndpointsToScanAndStore.visitOp():103
    org.apache.drill.exec.physical.base.AbstractPhysicalVisitor.visitLimit():92
    org.apache.drill.exec.physical.config.Limit.accept():57
    org.apache.drill.exec.planner.fragment.Wrapper$AssignEndpointsToScanAndStore.visitOp():134
    org.apache.drill.exec.planner.fragment.Wrapper$AssignEndpointsToScanAndStore.visitOp():103
    org.apache.drill.exec.physical.config.SelectionVectorRemover.accept():42
    org.apache.drill.exec.planner.fragment.Wrapper$AssignEndpointsToScanAndStore.visitExchange():108
    org.apache.drill.exec.planner.fragment.Wrapper$AssignEndpointsToScanAndStore.visitExchange():103
    org.apache.drill.exec.physical.base.AbstractExchange.accept():122
    org.apache.drill.exec.planner.fragment.Wrapper.assignEndpoints():148
    org.apache.drill.exec.planner.fragment.SimpleParallelizer.parallelizeFragment():247
    org.apache.drill.exec.planner.fragment.SimpleParallelizer.parallelizeFragment():208
    org.apache.drill.exec.planner.fragment.SimpleParallelizer.getFragments():131
    org.apache.drill.exec.work.foreman.Foreman.getQueryWorkUnit():514
    org.apache.drill.exec.work.foreman.Foreman.runPhysicalPlan():396
    org.apache.drill.exec.work.foreman.Foreman.runSQL():911
    org.apache.drill.exec.work.foreman.Foreman.run():244
    java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker():1145
    java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run():615
    java.lang.Thread.run():745 (state=,code=0)

Outcomes