AnsweredAssumed Answered

Replacing a Node with Zookeeper

Question asked by mandoskippy on Aug 26, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 31, 2015 by mandoskippy
I have 5 nodes, node1, node2, node3, node4, and node5.   I have zookeeper running on node1, node2, and node3  (per instructions to keep the zookeeper count odd).

I want to decom node3. I am done with it, it's just not working out between us, and I think we need to go in different directions. Also, I've met node6 which has joined the party recently.

node6 is everything one could ask for in a node, and I am ashamed to admit, I've already incorporated it into the cluster.  It's only role right now is a fileserver, which is good, but I have big plans, and I am ready to take the next step and ask node6 to be my zookeeper. 

So what is the best, (i.e. least impactful) way to add node6 to my quorum, and remove node3?  Should I remove node3 let the quorum operate as two nodes. install mapr-zookeeper, and then reconfigure all nodes to be away of node6? Do I stop the cluster? (I would imagine this is not the case)  Do  I just add node6 to the healthy quorum, making 4 nodes. Configure to only use the 3 (node1, node2, and node6) and then shutdown node3? Dear john letter for node3?

Any advice here would be appreciated!

Outcomes