AnsweredAssumed Answered

Hue installation Questions on Mapr

Question asked by mandoskippy on Dec 3, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 by yufeldman
I am trying to install Apache Hue to get a feel for it, and as I am going through the documentation, I have some questions.
(Install page here for reference: http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/Installing+Hue)

- To use Hue successfully, you must use MapR version 3.0.2 along with a patch which you can obtain from Customer Support. Hue will not work with MapR version 3.0.1 or earlier. **Question**: I have submitted a case to Support for the patch, does this mean I will have to compile things and require a dev environment to do this in?  I have 3.0.2.22510.GA installed right now, when does MapR plan to include that patch as part of the GA release?
 - This is a list of commands to install some of the required packages if they are not already installed:
 -

apt-get install mysql-common

wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/94808408/libmysqlclient16_5.1.58-1ubuntu5_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libmysqlclient16_5.1.58-1ubuntu5_amd64.deb

apt-get install libssl0.9.8

add-apt-repository ppa:fkrull/deadsnakes
apt-get update
apt-get install python2.6

apt-get install libxslt1.1
apt-get install libsasl2-modules-gssapi-mit

**Question:** Can you speak to these requirements a bit more? Specifically, python2.6, is that "required" over python2.7 (which already exists on my system?) Also, I am not opposed to installing third-party packages on my system, but in your install notes, could you include PGP keys and/or MD5 hashes of said packages? It's a best practice, and also may help ensure people don't point the finger at Mapr and say "They told me to install this package". 

- You can install Hue on a non-cluster node (a client node), but this is not recommended. Configuring Hue on a non-cluster node is more complicated than configuring  Hue on a cluster node. If you still want to install Hue on a non-cluster node, keep in mind that Hue directories are owned by the user who installed Hue. **Question:** Is it as simple as installing the MapR base package and not configuring Disk and Task tracker stuff? Can it be a cluster node without cluster services, thus  making it easier to configure without actually putting it on a node that is dedicated to other items? Just trying to understand the prescribed architecture here.

- The Hue package, mapr-hue, can be installed on either a MapR cluster node (recommended) or a client (edge) node. Follow the instructions below for installing on a cluster node or an edge node. If you choose to install on an edge node, follow the additional instructions under Installing Hue on an Edge Node. **Question:** The Link to Installing Hue on a Edge node appears broken, can we fix this up?

Outcomes