AnsweredAssumed Answered

Filesystem permissions question

Question asked by terrys on Jul 9, 2013
Latest reply on Jul 11, 2013 by terrys
I have a dilemma regarding maprfs file system permissions I'd like some advice on.

The mapr cluster is running as the mapr user, and currently I've set the all root volumes in maprfs to be owned by mapr.mapr, with permissions of 775.

We have 2 remote client systems writing data into mapr, such that client1 generates data which is then read and processed by client2.  Both clients have mapr groups setup on their local systems such that they are able to read/write data to maprfs.

The problem is that when client1 writes data into maprfs, the file system permissions are client1.client1, which means client2 cannot read the data unless I either change the group ownership of the new files back to mapr, or if I set the mask on the folder to 777.

I have played some with dfs.umaskmode, but this would only solve my issue if I set umaskmode to 000, making the files 777.  I'm not against this solution, but it doesn't feel right, and I'm hoping there is a better way.

Is there a best practice for writing files into maprfs so that a group of users can share the data?

Outcomes