AnsweredAssumed Answered

Accessing HBASE from Hive

Question asked by rdominelli on May 29, 2013
Latest reply on May 29, 2013 by rdominelli
I am trying to link an hbase table to hive using the following command

Create table hbasetest (key string, col1 string, col2 string)
    stored by 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.hbase.HBaseStorageHandler'
    WITH SERDEPROPERTIES ("hbase.columns.mapping" = ":key,d:c1,d:c2")
    TBLPROPERTIES ("hbase.table.name" = "datatsv")

When I run this I receive an error that hive is trying to access the hbase name node and unable to do so.

FAILED: Error in metadata: MetaException(message:org.apache.hadoop.hbase.MasterN                                                                                                                     otRunningException: Retried 10 times
            at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HBaseAdmin.<init>(HBaseAdmin.java:130)
            at org.apache.hadoop.hive.hbase.HBaseStorageHandler.getHBaseAdmin(HBaseS                                                                                                                     torageHandler.java:73)
            at org.apache.hadoop.hive.hbase.HBaseStorageHandler.preCreateTable(HBase                                                                                                                     StorageHandler.java:147)
            at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.createTable(Hive                                                                                                                     MetaStoreClient.java:428)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.                                                                                                                     java:57)

I am probably mistaken but I was under the impression that mapr did away with the name node.  If that is the case what have I forgotten to configure in hive to let it know.

Thanks for your help.
Rich

Just an addendum for clarity.
Just to clarify, I have confirmed that the Master is running and have specified the port and address on the hive command line
hive -hiveconf hbase.master=gis02:60000

Outcomes