AnsweredAssumed Answered

hive client running from "off cluster" host

Question asked by bhohnstein on Mar 19, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 21, 2013 by bhohnstein
We would like to run the hive client against an M3 (v2.1.1) cluster.  The host we want to run hive on is not running any other component of the MapR/Hadoop.  To try and get this to work I have yum installed mapr-hive which also installed the dependent rpm mapr-core.

After editing the /opt/mapr/conf/mapr-clusters.conf file on this new hive client host, I am now able to communicate with the cluster using hadoop commands such as "hadoop fs -ls /" so I know the host is aware of the cluster.

When I load the hive client and try to create a table I receive the error below to standard out:
<pre>
FAILED: Error in metadata: MetaException(message:Got exception: java.io.IOException Cluster user has no entry in /opt/mapr//conf/mapr-clusters.conf)
FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask
</pre>
I can cat the /opt/mapr/conf/mapr-clusters.conf file from the user I am trying to run hive as and see the contents showing the cluster name and hostname:port of the cldb host, but no-joy on getting hive to create a table.

Any help or documentation on getting this "off cluster" host to be able to run a hive query against the cluster would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Outcomes