AnsweredAssumed Answered

Understanding Volumes Better

Question asked by mandoskippy on Oct 16, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 by mandoskippy
I am struggling a bit with understanding volumes, I've been reading the Docs, and it makes sense to a degree, but I have some questions that go beyond the docs. So here goes.

1. I "ignored" volumes at first and just starting put data in (including hive etc)  Did that get put into mapr.cluster.root?  I notice that even though I have two racks setup, the physical topology of mapr.cluster.root is / Does / indicate it's in all racks? 
 2. So for Physical topology, assuming / means its in all racks, I've now created rack1, rack2. I have 4 nodes in rack1 and 4 nodes in rack2. If I move mapr.cluster.root physical top to /rack1 and /rack2, that means I now have no change? (basically the same as / right?
 3. Ok, so I screwed up and just started sending data in without volumes and I have /user/hive/warehouse/db1/  as a file in my cluster, it's likely in / (the mapr.cluster.root I would imagine) What happens if I have a directory and I want to now make a volume to organize thing. Say, /user/hive/warehouse/database  How do I do that without having move things. I am afraid to just create a volume and mount it over my current data.  Do I have to move it out of where it is (if I want the same mount point) create the volume, and then move it in? 

I will come up with more as I go, but I think that's a good start.

Outcomes