AnsweredAssumed Answered

ganglia configuration

Question asked by matt on Dec 12, 2011
Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 by matt
I'm having a little trouble getting mapr or hadoop stats reporting to ganglia.  I have ganglia up and running and reporting the usual stats.  But when I try to configure mapr/hadoop metrics through /opt/mapr/hadoop/hadoop-0.20.2/conf/hadoop-metrics.properties nothing I seem to do triggers any metrics to get reported. I've had this running OK in the past on an apache-hadoop 0.20.2 cluster sending metrics to ganglia 3.0.x.

In this case, I'm using ganglia 3.1 running the web frontend and gmetad on a separate node. I've tried configuring the *.servers properties to point at several different spots ranging from the multicast address of the local gmond to the tcp port of the gmetad server and I'm not seeing any collection via the xml interfaces or in the web front-end. 

I've run `maprcli config save -values '{"cldb.ganglia.fileserver.metrics":"1"}'`
to trigger the reporting and I've restarted the fileserver and the tasktracker on the node I'm testing, but I can't even seem to find any logging info as to what might be misconfigured.

The contexts I'm trying to set up are (239.2.11.72 is the multicast endpoint that my gmonds are communicating over.):

    mapred.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext31
    mapred.period=10
    mapred.servers=239.2.11.72:8649
    
    jvm.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext31
    jvm.period=10
    jvm.servers=239.2.11.72:8649
    
    fileserver.class=com.mapr.fs.cldb.counters.MapRGangliaContext31
    fileserver.period=10
    fileserver.servers=239.2.11.72:8649
    fileserver.spoof=1

Outcomes