AnsweredAssumed Answered

Consequences / side-effects of changing core-site and hbase-site xmls

Question asked by reedv on Jun 7, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 10, 2018 by arao

Would like to better understand the implications of editing certain configs in the core- and hbase-site xml files.

Currently in the process of trying to install MapR partner software Cask CDAP for a trial run on a MapR 6.0 cluster. While the current docs are not fully up to date, several documentation notes cann be found showing extra steps that must be done for installing on MapR 6.0 ([CDAP-13103] [Docs] Update CDAP installation to include MapR 6.0 - CDAP Community Issue Tracker). The steps require changing the /opt/mapr/hadoop/hadoop-2.7.0/etc/hadoop/core-site.xml and the /opt/mapr/hbase/hbase-1.1.8/conf/hbase-site.xml like so:

1. The MapR cluster should include HBase/MapR-DB Common (1.1)

2. Need to remove the property from /opt/mapr/hadoop/hadoop-2.7.0/etc/hadoop/core-site.xml

<property>   <name>hbase.table.namespace.mappings</name>   <value>*:/</value> </property>

CDAP-7613

3. Update the following property in /opt/mapr/hbase/hbase-1.1.8/conf/hbase-site.xml

<property>   <name>mapr.hbase.default.db</name>   <value>hbase</value> </property>

4. Start HBase by running the following

./opt/mapr/hbase/hbase-1.1.8/bin/start-hbase.sh

My question is: What are some noteworthy or potentially bad / alarming consequences of changing the files in this way? Eg. would the changes described in steps 2 and 3 affect any existing MapR / MFS system processes? Would I need to run step 4 even if I can already run the "hbase" command from terminal? Currently mapr.hbase.default.db=maprdb, would anything break when switching from that to hbase?

I don't know enough about how exactly these files are used to determine if these changes would be safe or not. So advice from others would be appreciated. Thanks.

Outcomes