AnsweredAssumed Answered

MapR-DB Multi-Master Replication Suitable?

Question asked by john.humphreys on Oct 26, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 2, 2017 by john.humphreys

Background Information

• We have two MapR clusters; one for production and one for DR.
  • We use OpenTSDB on top of MapR-DB.

I would like to set it up so that our production OpenTSDB tables are replicated to DR, but also so that when we have to fail over to DR, the changes there are replicated back to production.

We'll only run our writer apps (to OpenTSDB) on one side at a time.

My Questions

1. How does the replication handle outages? For example, if the network between production and DR is down for a day, will it buffer updates and then send them, or is the data just lost?
  2. Is master-master replication functioning well in MapR 5.2.1?  I would feel better if people are already using it successfully .
  3. Does this idea sound okay in general (hoping to hear from someone who has done it before or helped design it for this last one).

Documentation

I was reading about the feature here: Replicating MapR-DB Tables - MapR 5.0 Documentation - doc.mapr.com

Multi-master replication

In this configuration, two clusters have identical copies of a table. Applications can change any copy of the table, and MapR-DB replicates the changes to the other copy.

In this schematic diagram, there are two clusters: sanfrancisco and newyork. The table customers is updated on the sanfrancisco cluster by client applications on that cluster, and the same table is updated on the newyork cluster by client applications on that cluster. Updates made in either cluster are replicated to the other cluster.

Outcomes