AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I clear "AssignedTo" MAC address list for NFS VIPs?

Question asked by davidehle on Apr 5, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 6, 2017 by cathy

During a network configuration change we used maprcli virtualip edit -netmask ###.###.###.### -virtualip ###.###.###.### -macs"##:##:##:##:##:#a  ##:##:##:##:##:#b"  to assign some NFS VIPs to specific list of MAC addresses on MapR NFS Gateway servers in a cluster.

We  later added new NFS servers, but found that they were ignored and not used to host the existing VIPS, which is how we rediscovered our "AssignedTo" list.

I now am unclear on how to clear the list and let it go back to "automatic" assignment.  I have a workaround plan but would like to know the "right" way to reset these VIPs.

In a test environment I tried doing maprcli virtualip edit -netmask ###.###.###.### -virtualip ###.###.###.### -mac "0" and similar, like setting -mac to "",  but then the VIP is just not assigned to any NIC/MAC Address and attempts to ping the VIP fail.

Is suspect if I deleted the VIP and recreated it it might be cleared, but I'd prefer not to go that route on a production service.

My current plan is to just use maprcli virtualip edit -netmask ###.###.###.### -virtualip ###.###.###.### -mac "<list of valid MAC addr>"   to update the list to include the new MAC addrs, but I would prefer to return things to the "It Just Works" state to avoid future issues.

Can anyone provide instructions on how to clear the list and set the vip back to automatically using any "good" NIC on the NFS Gateway servers via CLI?

Thanks!
David.

Outcomes