AnsweredAssumed Answered

User Impersonation - Setting up linux client

Question asked by gesgeorge on Nov 2, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 by gesgeorge

Hi,

I'm trying to execute HBase Client code that queries MapR-DB from a linux client ( linux machine not part of the MapR cluster). Security is not enabled on the cluster; when using a Windows machine, the setup was quite simple with user spoofing.

On linux, I followed the instructions for installing a linux client and configured access to the cluster. From linux, I can execute the code and get the expected results if I run the code as a cluster user, currently the "mapr" super user i.e created the mapr user with the same uid & gid on the linux client and run as that user.

What I would like to do is run the query code as my login user. The cluster has permissions only for the mapr superuser. How do I tell the java code to execute on the cluster as the mapr user. Right now when I run the hbase client code, I can see that the user sent across is my logged in linux user. and the code executes (i.e. no errors and exceptions) but I get zero results as the data is stored with permissions for the mapr user.  Do I need to use impersonation to make this work? I followed the instructions at the link below but that did not work

Configuring Impersonation When Security Is Not Enabled 

The documentation on this is a little confusing and there are some differences between the documentation for 5.1 and 5.2. I'm running v5.1. In the 5.2 docs, there is a page on 

Resolving Username with UID and GIDs During Impersonation but when I tried this command it failed saying its an incorrect config.

maprcli config save -values {cldb.security.resolve.user:1}

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Gesly

Outcomes