AnsweredAssumed Answered

Trouble with Drill Explorer using Mapr ODBC Driver

Question asked by plangdon on Aug 3, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 by plangdon

Hi all,

I'm an IT analyst evaluating the use of the MapR driver to connect Apache Drill to Tableau.  I am new to both, and have hit a stumbling block - would love some help.  I am using Apache Drill 1.7.0 to query JSON data. I am successfully able to query using command line.  I have installed the MapRODBC64bit driver from the following link on Apache Drill's site. I have configured a System DSN to dfs.default on my Windows 7 64 bit machine and testing the connection when Drill is running is successful.

I can open drill explorer and browse the directories to my dataset, which is a JSON file  containing turn data from a popular digital card game. When I select sample data from drill, parquet files, It displays correctly the data when browsed. When I select my JSON file after extracting the JSON into my sample data directory I get the following error:

ERROR [HY000] [MapR][Drill] (1070) Drill fails to execute the query with error [30020]Communication error. End of file

I have found reference to earlier issues with Drill and MapR's driver that indicate that this may be a driver mismatch, but I am unsure because I was able to return sample data. I was unable to determine what versions of drill my driver supports, but I am open to downgrading to an earlier version if this is in fact the problem .  I have not worked with this data before, so I am not sure if the data is malformed. Any insight into how I can resolve the error?

Regards,

Paul

Outcomes