AnsweredAssumed Answered

ADM200 Course: Where do I get a verification code to authenticate gcloud?

Question asked by johniccp on Mar 28, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 by mlewis

I am using the "Set Up a Virtual Cluster" instructions, revised on 11/25/2015.  I am currently enrolled in ADM200.  I am using a Windows 8.1 computer, and am attempting to set up a virtual cluster on the Google Cloud Platform.  On page 5, instruction number 8,

8. After the installation completes, restart the Cygwin terminal by typing exit at the prompt and re-launching Cygwin. Enter the following command at the terminal prompt to authenticate:

gcloud auth login --no-launch-browser

The command will generate a link, and then wait for you to enter a verification code.  Follow the instructions to authenticate.

I tried my project ID:  hopeful-buckeye-123456 (#1234567890123), using the whole thing, just part outside of the parenthesis, and only the part within.  Each time, I received the error message from the gcloud command:

ERROR: There was a problem with web authentication.

ERROR: (gcloud auth login) invalid grant

Also, the instructions do not seem to address the need to select and pay for a Google server instance, and then continue with the lab.  My free trial is only 60 days.  I hope to hear from someone who has "been there, done that".

- John

Outcomes