AnsweredAssumed Answered

Possible to extend locally running cluster with cloud-based nodes?

Question asked by reedv on Feb 8, 2018
Latest reply on Feb 13, 2018 by tugdual

We are currently running a cluster using host nodes that are a part of our local/private network. We may, in the future, want to extend this cluster with nodes provided by a cloud service (eg. AWS). Looking at the mapr documentation (https://maprdocs.mapr.com/home/AdvancedInstallation/ExtendCluster.html), this appears to be possible, but I am concerned that the nodes will not be able to communicate/"see" each other, since some would be on our private network (we used the mapr installer web UI listing these nodes based on thier internal IP addresses) and others would have some public IP address on AWS.

Would this be possible? As it is not currently possible for us to test this on an existing cloud server, could someone explain how this would be setup and what to expect (in the context of the mapr installer web UI), to help me get a better understanding of what is happening behind the scenes when the cluster is being extended?

Thank you.

** Full disclosure, I am not one of the networking people at our company and am only relaying my interpretation of one of their concerns.

Outcomes