|Date:||June 2, 2016|
Warehouse K, Hotel ibis London Excel Docklands, Excel Centre, 2 Western Gateway, London E16 1DR, London
ABOUT THE EVENT
The Apache Flink London Meetup is a group for anyone who wants to learn about or share what they know about Apache Flink. We are excited about its potential, and we want to find other people who are interested. Apache Flink is a 'streaming first' data processing engine - which is a lot cooler than it sounds. See here for more: https://flink.apache.org/
Good news! With Strata+Hadoop taking place in the same week, the Apache Flink London Meetup have some influential names in big data attending the June meetup.
- Ellen Friedman - Apache committer (Flink, Drill, and Mahout) and a Big Data Consultant at MapR - How the World Sees Flink: Community, Code and Streaming Architecture
At the heart of an open source project are the developers: If software were a beautiful old ship, the developers are the artisans who shape and carve the wood and deploy the sails. But it’s the users who put wind into the sails and send the project into motion. How, then, do the people who develop the code engage the attention of potential users so that the project comes to life?
In this non-technical presentation, I’ll talk about my contributions to the Apache Flink project as well as to other Apache projects including Drill and Mahout. We’ll see how projects evolve and discuss what participants can do to have a positive impact on the community and to influence the roadmap for development.
In addition we will examine the challenges faced by organizations as they embrace innovative technologies such as Apache Flink or try to make substantial changes in their way of using data. We can open the discussion to hear from the group about how they see Flink fitting in the overall big data space.
It is easy to forget just how much a framework like Flink is actually doing for you. Instead of demonstrating how good Flink is, I will go the other way and show you how bad it can be without Flink by walking through a simple web-spider application written in modern streaming style, but entirely without a high level framework like Flink.
By examining what goes wrong without Flink, you will be able to better understand how Flink makes things go right.
- Kenneth Knowles - Founder and committer of Apache Bean an Software Engineer at Google
- Stephan Ewen - CTO at Data Artisans
Stephan will drop by for a Q&A session and (if things work out) give an impromptu talk “Community Update and a look at some of the upcoming features”.
- Ellen Friedman: How world sees flink london flink meetup-small 2 june 2016
- Ted Dunning : https://www.slideshare.net/secret/7YWmHxV92QDN5h
- Kenneth Knowles: Flink London 2016-06-02 - Google Slides
- Stephan Ewen: FlinkGroupLondon/Flink Demo London Meetup.pdf at master · DataReplyUK/FlinkGroupLondon · GitHub
On Apache flink :
- Apache Flink: Scalable Batch and Stream Data Processing | Flink Website
- GitHub - apache/flink: Mirror of Apache Flink | Flink GitHub
- Apache Flink Training | Flink Training by Data Artisans
- Apache Flink: A New Way to Handle Streaming Data | MapR Blog
- Apache Spark vs. Apache Flink - YouTube
- Distributed Stream and Graph Processing with Apache Flink | MapR Blog
- Free ebook Streaming Architecture: New Designs Using Apache Kafka and MapR Streams
- MapR Streams training available
- MapR Converged Data Platform Release 5.1 Resources
- Explore MapR Streams Resources & Product Information
- Video Recording: Apache Flink Meetup Bay Area - YouTube
On the speakers:
- Ted Dunning & Ellen Friedman:
- Streaming Architecture: New Designs Using Apache Kafka and MapR Streams | MapR ebook
- Sharing Big Data Safely: Managing data Security | MapR ebook
- Real-World Hadoop | MapR ebook
- Time Series Databases: New Ways to Store and Access Data: New Ways to Store and Access Data | MapR ebook
- Practical Machine Learning: A New Look at Anomaly Detection | MapR ebook
- Practical Machine Learning: Innovations in Recommendation | MapR ebook
- Link to complete agenda and details: http://www.meetup.com/Apache-Flink-London-Meetup/events/231040307/