What is MapR-DB
MapR-DB is an enterprise-grade, high performance NoSQL ("not only SQL") database management system built into the MapR Converged Data Platform (MCDP). It is used to add real-time, operational analytics capabilities to Apache Hadoop and Apache Spark. MapR-DB is available for unlimited production use in the free MapR Converged Community Edition. You can get mission-critical, enterprise-grade capabilities on MapR-DB in the subscription-based MapR Converged Enterprise Edition.
NoSQL primarily addresses two critical data architecture requirements:
- Scalability to address the increasing volumes and velocity of your data
- Flexibility to store the variety of useful data types and formats
MapR-DB goes beyond other NoSQL solutions by providing a reliable platform to run business-critical big data applications. MapR-DB is a multi-model database, supporting the easy-to-use, open source OJAI™(Open JSON Application Interface) API for document database capabilities, as well as an API for wide column data models.
MapR-DB with OJAI has advanced features not found in most NoSQL databases in the market today, including:
- Automatic optimizations, so you never have to run resource-intensive administrative tasks (like "major compactions")
- Access Control Expressions, a powerful, flexible, and east-to-understand authorization model to simplify your security administration tasks
- Granular access controls, to let you set different permissions on different elements within a single JSON document
- Native JSON support in which individual elements in a JSON document are individually read and written to disk, enhancing performance and concurrency