Release Announcement: Spark 2.0 Developer Preview
Date: June 16, 2016
Apache Spark 2.0 is now available on MapR! This is a Developer Preview release and not recommended for production deployments.
What is a Developer Preview?
The MapR Developer Preview gives you the opportunity to work with new features and technologies that are still under active development. We are excited about the prospects of these technologies and look forward to working with users, customers, and the wider open source and partner community to enhance them.
Projects featured on these pages are not supported by MapR. We consider these upcoming projects to have some sharp edges and bugs, and to change significantly. Therefore, we do not recommend using these features in production systems at this point in time.
MapR will publish easy to install packages and basic installation/monitoring/managing instructions for technologies in Developer Preview. If you have any questions, please post them on the respective forums and/or on our Converge Community.
What New Features Has Spark 2.0 Introduced?
- ex. DataFrame API:
- Runs on the same engine as SparkSQL.
- Allows access to data from a variety of different data sources.
- Can run database-like operations or allow for passing in custom code.
Structured Streaming with Spark SQL Streaming:
- Provides the ability to perform interactive queries against live streaming data.
- Introduces the concept of repeated queries wherein a particular query is executed repeatedly against every incoming batch of DStreams (RDDs).
- Output can now be aggregated in a stream for continuous applications.
Spark as a Compiler:
- Whole-stage code generation provided by the second-generation Tungsten engine.
- Eliminates the need for multiple JVM calls by flattening SQL queries into one single function evaluated as bytecode at runtime.
Documentation & Download
- MapR Redefines Big Data Landscape with Dedicated Enterprise-Grade Spark Distribution
- Accelerate Your Analytics with the New MapR Platform including Spark
- DEV 360 - Apache Spark Essentials | MapR
- Ask us Anything about Apache Spark: June 13 - 17, 2016
- Technical Preview of Apache Spark 2.0 Now on Databricks | Databricks Blog
- Apache Spark 2.0: Faster, Easier, and Better
Have a Question?
Ask in Answers or comment below.