Release Announcement: Apache Hadoop Ecosystem - Drill 1.4
January 13, 2016
Apache Drill 1.4 is now available on MapR. This is a production ready and supported release on MapR and highly recommended for all customer deployments.
Drill 1.4 is a performance and stability focused release. The key enhancements in the release include the following.
- Improved and optimized Tableau experience with faster Limit 0 queries
- Metadata (INFORMATION_SCHEMA) query speed-ups on Hive schemas/tables
- Optimized query planning and execution through enhanced partition pruning
- Efficient caching of Parquet metadata, speeding up queries on large numbers of files
- Improved window functions, resource usage, and performance
- Table functions
- Improved CSV header parsing
- New and improved MapR Drill JDBC driver
Note: There is one backwards incompatible change when using Drills CTAS with partitioning. You must update the metadata of Parquet files generated by the prior versions of Drill (1.2 and before) to work optimally with Drill version 1.4. See http://drill.apache.org/docs/partition-by-clause/ and DRILL-4070
Here is more info
 You can download MapR RPM, ODBC and JDBC drivers:
 MapR release notes: Drill 1.4.0 Release Notes - Hadoop Components - doc.mapr.com
 Installing Apache Drill on MapR: Installing Apache Drill on MapR - Latest Documentation - doc.mapr.com
 Ecosystem support matrix: Ecosystem Support Matrix - Latest Documentation - doc.mapr.com
 Installer, installer def, installer tarball and mapr-setup.sh: Index of /releases/installer
Read more about the performance of Drill in the blog post A Brief Overview of Performance Enhancements in Apache Drill 1.4 | MapR
Related Community Resources
Have a question?
Ask in Answers or comment below.
Share your expertise & ideas
Answer questions and vote on ideas in Answers.