We define community broadly at MapR. Our community is not only connecting in the new Converge Community but also at Meetups, events, on social media, in the MapR Blog, and in other online forums. Twice a month we publish a roundup of new and popular content from various sources that will help you put data technology to work.
Big Data Everywhere World Tour
Our community has been meeting around the world at the Big Data Everywhere conferences. Pictured above is the packed house at the May 10th BDE Singapore (courtesy of robin fong). Learn more and download presentations.
What helped you put data technology to work this week?
Have something to add? Make a comment and share a resource!
- Monitoring a MapR Cluster with Elasticsearch + Kibana | MapR by Mathieu Dumoulin, Data Engineer at MapR
- What a Difference a Year Makes: Happy Anniversary, Apache Drill | MapR by Neeraja Rentachintala, Senior Director, Product Management at MapR
- How to Integrate Custom Data Sources Into Apache Spark | MapR by Nicolas Perez, Software Engineer at IPC
- Ideal Messaging Capabilities for Streaming Data | MapR by Ellen Friedman, Apache Drill and Apache Mahout Committer and Big Data Consultant at MapR
- Apache Kafka and MapR Streams: Terms, Techniques and New Designs | MapR by Ellen Friedman
- Scaling with Kafka – Common Challenges Solved | MapR by William Ochandarena, Director of Product Managment at MapR
Use Cases and Business Value
- Apache Apex on MapR Converged Platform | MapR by Charu Madan, Head of Business Development at DataTorrent and Thomas Weise, Committer and PMC member Apache Apex and Co-Founder of DataTorrent
- Selling Hadoop to the C-Suite: It’s all about business value | MapR by Jim Scott, Director of Enterprise Strategy and Architecture at MapR
- The Changing Economics of Big Data | MapR by Jim Scott
- Helping Banks Meet Regulatory Compliance with Big Data | MapR by Karan Sachdeva, Director of Sales for South East Asia at MapR
Open Source and Data Resources
- Download materials from the May 18 Apache Zeppelin Meetup in San Jose, CA
- Open Data: Big Benefits, 7 V’s, and Thousands of Repositories | Rocket-Powered Data Science by Kirk Borne
What resources have helped you this week? Share by making a comment below.
Release and Patch Announcements
- MapR Patch Release - May 2016
- Patch Installer - End of Support - May 20, 2016
- Prepare for MapR 4.x End of Maintenance by January 2017
New Knowledge Article
- How-To: How to Use Kylin on MapR 5.2 by Rachel Silver, MapR Product Manager
- How-To: How To Use Jupyter & PySpark on MapR by Rachel Silver, MapR Product Manager
- How-To: How To Query Drill in Python from Jupyter Notebook by Rachel Silver, MapR Product Manager
Drill Courses Being Updated: Share Your Ideas for What to Add
- What should we include in updated Drill courses? New use cases you'd recommend? -- share your thoughts with MapR Academy Curriculum Developer Jamie Doll
Questions that Need Answers -- Share your Expertise
Help a fellow developer, admin or data analyst out by answering one of these questions!
- Error while executing /opt/mapr/spark/spark-1.2.1/bin/run-example org.apache.spark.examples.sql.hive.HiveFromSpark asked by Sangeetha Shekar
- how to invoke hdfsPwrite function via webhdfs asked by Freeman Yan
- error with sqoop incremental import with merge-key asked by Ronald Martin
New Apache Drill Best Practices
- "Permission Denied" error reading Parquet metadata cache file
- How can I enable native parquet reader in Drill to optimize queries on Hive parquet tables?
- Are there datatypes in Drill that should be favored vs avoided?
- How do I verify that my Limit 0 Drill queries are benefiting from the optimized code paths?
- How do I know if partition pruning has been applied to my Drill query?
- What is the recommended parquet block size (when running on MapR-FS) for Drill?
- How do I decrease parallelism within a Drill query?
- Can Parquet files created by other tools (e.g., Hive, Spark) be read by Drill?
- How do you enable debug logging for the partition pruning phase in Drill?
- How often should I refresh my metadata cache in Drill?
- Why is my Apache Drill query running out of memory while performing a HashJoin?
Upcoming Meetups & Events
Follow the Meetups and Events space in your Converge Community Inbox to get notified of new events.
- Career empowerment in a Big Data World - June 2, 2016 - CA
- Apache Flink London Meetup - June 2, 2016
- Atlanta Hadoop Users Group - July 2016
Is your Meetup missing? We welcome you to contribute to the Meetups and Events space!
Join the Conversation
Since the launch of the Converge Community on March 7th, 2,800 people from 78 countries have joined and are connecting directly with each other to solve problems and answer questions together.
We know you have much to share. The community needs your questions, answers and ideas, so login to create a community account. Tips for Getting Started in the Converge Community
Find all roundups: community roundup