MapR was honored to host the Women in Big Data technical workshop on Apache Drill and Spark this week (pictured here). Weren't able to join? Download slides and find resources. Follow @DataWomen on Twitter.
We define community broadly at MapR. Our community is not only connecting in the new Converge Community but also at Meetups, events, on social media, in the MapR Blog, and in other online forums. Each week we publish a roundup of new and popular content from various sources that will help you put data technology to work.
What helped you put data technology to work this week?
Have something to add? Make a comment and share a resource!
- Real Time Credit Card Fraud Detection with Apache Spark and Event Streaming | MapR by carol mcdonald, Solutions Architect at MapR
- Solving Problems with the Right Technology: Hadoop and RDBMS | MapR by Jim Scott, Director, Technology and Strategy at MapR
- CLDB Monitoring Using JMX as a Modern Alternative to Ganglia | MapR by Mathieu Dumoulin, Data Engineer at MapR
- The Case for Women in Big Data | MapR by Crystal Valentine, VP Technology Strategy at MapR
- Distributed Deep Learning with Caffe Using a MapR Cluster | MapR by Mathieu Dumoulin, Data Engineer at MapR
- MapR Named One of the Top 10 Banking Analytics Solution Providers for 2016 by Banking CIO Outlook Magazine | MapR by Sean O'Dowd, Global Financial Services Director at MapR
- Evolution of Big Data Storage: How to Support Real-time Analytics at Scale | MapR by Ellen Friedman, Apache Drill and Apache Mahout committer and Big Data Consultant at MapR
- Fast, Scalable, Streaming Applications with MapR Streams, Spark Streaming, and MapR-DB | MapR by carol mcdonald, Solutions Architect at MapR
- How to Build Applications on a NoSQL Document Database and Perform Analytics in Place | MapR by leon clayton, Solutions Architect at MapR
Open Source and Data Resources
- GitHub - youngwookim/awesome-hadoop: A curated list of amazingly awesome Hadoop and Hadoop ecosystem resources, Vimox Shah shared this comprehensive list with the community
- Bay Area Apache Flink Meetup members met on April 6. Watch this video to see the presentations. Have questions for William Ochandarena who presented? Make a comment here: Bay Area Apache Flink Meetup - Apr 6, 2016
What resources have helped you this week? Share by making a comment below.
Hadoop Ecosystem Release Update
Join New Discussions
- What are use cases for Hadoop? asked by Sujith Kumar
- What advice/resources are available to prepare for MapR Certified Spark Developer exam? asked by syed Riyasat Ali
Questions that Need Answers -- Share your Expertise
Help a fellow developer, admin or data analyst out by answering one of these questions!
- How does 'Skewed by [..] Stored As Directories function' in Hive? asked by jeet23 _
- How to print errors from Custom Script in hive to a separate file then the output file asked by Ekta Dharia
- Metrics DB: How to interpret Process_Begin_Time and Process_End_Time asked by Daniel Howard
New Apache Drill Best Practices
- Why am I unable to access JSON objects within Parquet files in Drill?
- How do I determine the right partitioning strategy?
- Are there situations where partition pruning cannot be done in Drill?
- What is the recommended parquet block size (when running on MapR-FS) for Drill?
- Does Drill impersonation work with Hive SQL based authorization?
- How do I decrease parallelism within a Drill query?
- How do I detect data skew during Drill query processing?
Upcoming Meetups & Events
Follow the Meetups and Events space in your Converge Community Inbox to get notified of new events.
- Big Data Everywhere Singapore- May 10 2016
- Big Data Everywhere Atlanta - May 10 2016 - Available 50% Discount
- Big Data Everywhere Munich - May 11th 2016 - Available 50% Discount
- Big Data Everywhere Fort Lauderdale - May 12 2016 - Available 50% Discount
- Big Data Everywhere Mumbai - May 13 2016
- Big Data Everywhere Boston - May 17 2016 -- Available 20% Discount
- Apache Zeppelin Meetup at San Jose, CA - May 18, 2016
- Big Data Everywhere New York - May 19 2016 -- Available 20% Discount
- Atlanta Hadoop Users Group - July 2016
Is your Meetup missing? We welcome you to contribute to the Meetups and Events space!
- We're excited to announce the release of four new free, on-demand online courses:
Follow these instructions to get notified of all MapR Academy announcements. New and updated courses are being created regularly. Follow the MapR Academy Blog in your Converge Community Inbox:
1. Go here MapR Academy
2. Click on Follow.
3. Check the Inbox stream.
As long as you leave your Email Preferences set so that you follow your Inbox via Email, you will get an Email every time a new announcement is posted by MapR Academy staff. By default, you are following your Inbox via Email.
Learn more about Email Preferences: Manage Email Notification Preferences
Join the Conversation
Since the launch of the Converge Community on March 7th, 2,400 people from 78 countries have joined and are connecting directly with each other to solve problems and answer questions together.
We know you have much to share. The community needs your questions, answers and ideas, so login to create a community account. Tips for Getting Started in the Converge Community
Find all roundups: community roundup